Manassas Emergency Dentist
Dental emergencies can be experienced at any time. These unfortunate situations may include a knocked out tooth or excruciating tooth pain. These types of dental conditions may require immediate attention of an emergency dentist. In brief, an emergency dentist treats urgent dental issues to relieve pain, stop bleeding, and/or restore a tooth. Learn more below and contact us today.
An Emergency Dentist Can Help with the Following
- Bleeding or excruciating pain that occurs after undergoing a dental procedure or treatment.
- Cracked or chipped teeth due to accidents or neglect to the teeth or bad eating habits. It can also be caused by misuse of teeth like using teeth to open bottles or to cut things.
- Tooth fracture that may have occurred due to a facial injury.
- Loose teeth due to dental infections or accidents
- Sudden tooth loss from an injury.
- Sports injuries, car accidents and falls that are accompanied by severe toothache.
Before visiting an emergency dentist for treatment, you can try the following to alleviate pain, bleeding, and save the affected tooth.
- For a knocked-out tooth, avoid handling the tooth as much as possible. If possible, try returning the tooth back to the socket. You can try using a wet tea bag or moistened gauze to bite it down and keep it moisten, but if you cannot return it back to the socket, rinse it to remove any dirt and store it in a container with your saliva or milk until an emergency dentist can examine it.
- For a tooth that has been pushed out of position try as gently as possible to reposition the tooth back to its normal position by applying light finger pressure on it without forcing the tooth.
- When faced with a situation that you have objects stuck in your mouth, gently floss to try and remove the object. However, do not use pointed or sharp objects.
- For toothaches, use dental floss to gently remove any food particles stuck between the teeth then rinse the mouth with warm saline water
- For a tooth that has been cracked, rinse mouth immediately with warm saline water to keep the area clean and apply a cold compress to help with any swelling that might occur.
- However, if you are faced with a situation where there is a big piece of the tooth missing or the crack is severe; you are required to seek the services of an emergency dentist immediately as you may worsen the situation.
These home remedies only provide a short term relief to the pain. Therefore, it is important to visit an emergency dentist right away.
Avoid Dental Injuries
- Avoid cutting things and opening bottles with your teeth. Instead, use scissors or bottle openers.
- Hard candy, ice, and popcorn kernels can lead to tooth damage.
- When taking part in sporting or recreational activities, wear mouth guards.
There are many ways to prevent dental emergencies. One of which is to maintain dental exams and cleanings. These preventive procedures detect issues early on and remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and gum line. Pop Smiles Dentistry offers a variety of dental treatments to assist patients of all ages. Call (703) 844-0404 or book an appointment online. New patients are welcome and most insurances are accepted.