One of the best ways to keep your smile healthy is to practice good oral hygiene at home. This means eating healthy and brushing and flossing daily. By engaging in good habits, you can keep teeth happy and healthy by preventing decay and tooth loss.
Dr. Jamil Sowan from Pop Smiles Dentistry can help you learn about effective oral hygiene. He and the hygienist can give you the information you need to improve your home care routine. To learn more about dental hygiene in Manassas, Virginia, make an appointment today. Call our office at (703) 844-0404.
While the hygienist and dentist will care for your teeth while you’re in the office, you need to do your part as well. Consistent oral hygiene is the best way to take care of your smile and preserve it for life. Ask your dentist about the daily habits and practices that you can do at home.
What Is an Effective Home Care Routine?
For optimal oral health, our dentist recommends that you add these steps to your daily routine:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brush teeth after every meal, if possible, or at least once in the morning and again at night before you go to bed. A soft-bristled toothbrush works best. Electric toothbrushes seem to work best and are easier for some people. Choose a toothpaste that includes fluoride to keep your teeth’s enamel strong. Make sure you are brushing for two minutes.
- Floss daily. You should floss between all your teeth at least once a day. The best time to do it is before you go to bed.
- Use mouthwash. Mouthwash can help eliminate food and debris from your teeth. Do not use it after brushing, though, as it can rinse off fluoride from the toothpaste. Do it at lunch and avoid eating or drinking for 30 minutes afterward.
- Eat a balanced diet. Focus on eating fruits and vegetables. Keep the consumption of acidic and sugary foods to a minimum. This will reduce your risk of developing tooth decay.
- Maintain your regular visits to the dentist every six months. Routine visits to your dentist’s office are essential. You will receive a professional teeth cleaning and a thorough dental exam by our dentist and hygienist. During these visits, we will focus on preventive dentistry and look for any issues that require immediate attention. By catching problems early, we can prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss.
Your dentist will make sure you are taking good care of your teeth at home. We will review your current dental hygiene habits and find ways to help you prove. For example, if you are missing certain spots while brushing or flossing, we will let you know. After all, knowledge is key.
While visits to the dentist are helpful in removing plaque and tartar from teeth, you can make these appointments easier by doing your part at home. Proper hygiene is essential for a healthy mouth. To learn more about dental hygiene, contact Pop Smiles Dentistry today. Schedule your next appointment at our office by calling (703) 844-0404.